12 Midwives, 12 stories
In support of International Day of the Midwife (IDM) we’re looking for 12 images that depict what it means for you to be a midwife, student or allied health professional around the globe.
‘Our campaign aims to celebrate the wonderful work of the midwifery profession, by offering midwives and students the opportunity to highlight their experiences through a series of photos’ said Head of MIDIRS and Editor of MIDIRS Midwifery Digest, Cathy Ashwin. ‘Sharing photographs that depict key moments or events will help raise further awareness of the great and often unrewarded work midwives do around the world’.
Award winning film maker and photographer, Nancy Durrell McKenna, and Founder Director of Safehands for Mothers, will help choose a selection of 12 images that most clearly depict the essence of being a midwife.
You don’t have to be a professional photographer to enter our competition! And entries can be from individuals or groups.
The main criteria are to share your most precious moments with us through images that depict your work, your passions, your achievements. For example, your photos could show midwifery in different environments, whether that’s in your daily practice, on elective placement or doing volunteer work in any part of the world.
Midwifery societies and associations may find this a great opportunity to showcase their work.
Win a copy of In SafeHands
Out of the 12 images selected, we will be looking for one photo that best sums up the campaign’s message in terms of content, visual and aesthetic qualities.
The lucky winner will receive a signed copy of Nancy Durrell McKenna’s book In SafeHands — a photographic tribute to the extraordinary stories of women and their families in rural Africa http://www.safehands.org/shop/
How to submit your story and image
Please send the following to email@example.com no later than 31st May 2018.
- Up to 2 high resolution images (colour or black and white) in Jpeg format.
- A brief photo caption not exceeding 50 words.
- An additional 200 words that support your image and which tell your story (links to relevant websites or resources can also be included).
- Your name, profession, email address and contact telephone number.
- Deadline for submissions: 31st May 2018
- 12 images (including overall winner) selected by: 15th June 2018
- Winners notified by: 1st July 2018.
- When taking your photo try to use the highest resolution you can (e.g. 300 dpi).
- Always try to use natural light rather than a flash.
- All photos must be supplied in Jpeg format.
Please read our Terms and Conditions before submitting your entry.